Friday, September 10, 2010

The X Factor

Another player in this game is Marine Forces Africa, the service component of USAFRICOM. (A Short Aside: The various Combatant Commands throughout the world, as shown on the map below, all have components of the four armed services that function as force providers. A force provider is a headquarters that handles the deployment of its particular service members so they can support whatever exercises or contingencies that the Combatant Command is responsible for. Therefore, in addition to MARFORAF, there is also USARAF, US Air Forces Africa, and NAVAF.) Part of the reporting instructions for MARFORAF is to be thoroughly briefed and cognizant of the roles and responsibilities that you will have during your deployment. This is typically summed up in a billet description.

My situation is a little more complex, however. There are apparently a few different billets that I might be slotted in to but no one has quite figured out which one it may be yet. For now, there's really no impact on my preparations. I'm still trying to get some training done and go to medical next week. The difficulty is going to come later when I try to study up on what exactly I'm going to need to know. Things like joint doctrinal publications that would be handy to have read will have to be put on hold. But, since the unofficial motto of the Marine Corps is Semper Gumby, Always Flexible, I don't really think it will be much of a problem. I look at it as an adventure unfolding before my feet, with pleasant surprises, sunshine, and lollipops as far as the eye can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment