Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Billet Assignment

I've finally gotten the assignment for what I'm going to be doing in Djibouti. There's a specific line number in the Joint Manning Document that I'm deploying under. It used to be one job (the advertised job that I saw and thought I was signing up for) but now it's been reassigned to another job in another section. That's the way the cookie crumbles. No hard feelings; in fact I'm pretty excited about it.

I'll be in Operations and I'll be working to ensure that all the exercises we conduct go off without a hitch. It's even specifically written into the billet description to take care of any 'unforeseen problems'. Since that is something that I've always excelled at, I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead. (Handy Side Note: When anyone in the military starts using the word "challenges" you can usually translate that to mean "we have no idea how to do this.")

My main tasks will be to ensure the smooth workings of multinational exercises through interaction with the host nation through their military offices and embassies. From what I can gather, I'm the guy that goes around and makes sure that the plan that everyone agreed to actually works according to plan. It sounds like a lot of travel throughout East Africa and a lot of smiling and hand shaking and frantic cell phone calls. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment