Wednesday, November 10, 2010

J-Actionville

Jacksonville, NC, is a little on the sleepy side. But, that said, I've had a chance to get around a bit. Here are some recommendations if you've never been here. (Or like me, haven't been here in 23 years.)

If you're looking for a church to attend where you can hear the Word of God preached in a biblically sound way I'd suggest Calvary Chapel Jacksonville. They are very attuned to the workings of the Marine Corps and their deployments and families.

If you're looking for all the latest chain stores and restaurants you'll want to drive up Western Avenue. They're all there.

Speaking of restaurants, the locally owned options are few. The best place for seafood would probably be Tony's Seafood and Oyster Bar. It's a nice place and it's not too expensive. (Like Duck's Grille and Bar was.) A word of caution: Every time I order fish around here I'm asked how I'd like it done. I look quizzically at the server and say, "Uh, medium, I guess." The fish then comes very rare in the middle. I'm from Seattle and there's really only one way fish is 'done' and that's done. I don't know who taught these people to cook out here.

If you like fried chicken then there are two good places. Bojangles' is the best, in my not so humble opinion, and it's right off base. Smithfield's, on Bell Fork Road, is good but tastes a lot like KFC.

If you like Shakespeare and fine wine in the park... you're just SOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment